Medium: Slate . 101 year old oak from the artist's land
• Hand carved Trajan letter "B" with bas relief carving of a bee.
• V-incised letter carved the old way with hammer and chisel.
• 5 1/2 x 10 3/4 x 1/2" in thickness
• Scribed lines showing the mathematical proportions of a Trajan letter "B."
• Custom stand from 101 year old oak that had to be felled
on the artist's land.
• Both stone and oak stand are signed by the artist.
• Card included detailing the process.
ABOUT HAND CARVED LETTERS
Letters hand carved are very much a lost art.
What one commonly sees today are sandblasted letters
using mechanical methods(rubber templates and very little time)
They are static and still, and to this artist's way of thinking,
have no soul.
Keeping the letters alive by first painting the letters
with brush and then carving the letters with hammer and chisel.
This is how it was done in Greek and Roman times.
When one visits old graveyards hand carved
v-incised letters can still be seen.
top of page
bottom of page