Title: Sky Sink ©
Medium: Limestone . Steel . Copper
• This listing is to COMMISSION/ORDER a stone sink carved from a solid block of limestone.
• Hand carved Trajan letters using hammer and chisel.
• Hand shaped bowl.
• Bas relief carving of swallow.
• Custom designed faucet designed to hold 2 gallon watering can.
• Entirely plumbed and ready for installation.
• Can be simply attached to a garden hose or traditional plumbing arrangement.
• Details include hand hammered copper soap dish, strainer and drain.
• Levelers on feet of steel stand.
• 57" hi
• The stone measures 18 x 28 x 6"
• As with all custom orders, the artist works closely
with the client and weekly email updates are sent.
These sinks are fine art for the garden
and are a journey.
You are part of that journey.
*Due to the complexity and shipping costs of heavy work,
pickup at studio is an option.
Please email before ordering and
a link to this listing WITHOUT shipping charges
will be emailed to you.
Free delivery within a 100 mile radius of Asheville NC.
Thank you, kindly.
"Carved from solid blocks of limestone & marble weighing as much as 400 pounds,
and inspired from countless hours spent in her own garden, each is individually designed, carved and then hand-lettered with hammer and chisel. The faucets and stands are also designed, hand-smithed, and handcrafted at the artist's studio. Details include hooks for gardening tools.
A 3 month journey from start to finish, the process includes the hand carving of the bowl, the hand painting and then hand carving of the letters with hammer and steel chisel, & the hammering & smithing of the metals.
Nearly a lost art in this country, Karcher is one of only a handful of artists still practicing the fine art of hand carved letters in stone the old way with hammer and chisel."
Like to garden?
And for years I had been wanting to carve
a garden sink.
I now have two in my own garden.
Use them everyday to water, rinse
my hands, or fill up the hens' watering dish.
And so lovely, lovely, lovely to no longer
have to pick up a muddy ol' garden hose
and try to rinse my hands.
I also designed these to be fully plumbed
and ready to go
because that's what I would want.
If you've a garden hose.
Simply hook it up.
ABOUT HAND CARVED LETTERS
Letters hand carved are very much a lost art.
What one commonly sees today are sandblasted letters
using mechanical methods(rubber templates and very little time)
They are static and still, and to this artist's way of thinking,
have no soul.
Keeping the letters alive by first painting the letters
with brush and then carving the letters with hammer and chisel.
This is how it was done in Greek and Roman times.
When one visits old graveyards hand carved
v-incised letters can still be seen.