Title: Celtic Alphabet Stone
• Hand carved Celtic alphabet with bas relief Celtic knot in slate.
• 13 x 21 x 3/4" in thickness
• Stone is signed on the reverse.
• Brass inserts with cable.
• Hand smithed steel hanging bracket for wall is included.
• This particular slab was chosen for it's fragmented appearance. I have always embraced broken and fragmented pieces of slate and marble for their character, and blatant "stone" appearance.
• Card included detailing the process.
ABOUT HAND CARVED LETTERS
Letters hand carved are very much a lost art.
What one commonly sees today are sandblasted letters
using mechanical methods(rubber templates and very little time)
They are static and still, and to this artist's way of thinking,
have no soul.
Keeping the letters alive by first painting the letters
with brush and then carving the letters with hammer and chisel.
This is how it was done in Greek and Roman times.
When one visits old graveyards hand carved
v-incised letters can still be seen.
top of page
bottom of page