A round, hand shaped slate slab with hand carved letters and bee.
• This listing is to COMMISSION/ORDER a
hand shaped round slate with hand carved
v-incised letters(the old way with hammer and chisel)
and engraved bee.
• Round stones are exquisite. I cut and then shape them entirely by hand. It gives a stone a feel and a presence which only work by hand and eye can do.
• Hand carved Trajan letter "B" with bookhand letter "e"(s.)
• 16" in diameter. 1" in thickness.
• Key hole plate on reverse with receiving bracket for wall.
• Stone will be signed by artist on the reverse.
• Card included detailing the process.
• As with all custom orders, the artist works closely
with the client. Weekly email updates are sent.
• 4 - 6 weeks to complete.
***Due to the inherant problems of shipping
pickup at the studio is always an option
and preferred by the artist.
Please email if this would work for you
and a time and date can be arranged.
A link to a listing without shipping
charges will then be emailed to you.
Free delivery within a 50 mile radius of Asheville NC.
Thank you, kindly.
ABOUT HAND CARVED LETTERS
Letters hand carved are very much a lost art.
What one commonly sees today are sandblasted letters
using mechanical methods(rubber templates and very little time)
They are static and still, and to this artist's way of thinking,
have no soul.
Keeping the letters alive by first painting the letters
with brush and then carving the letters with hammer and chisel.
This is how it was done in Greek and Roman times.
When one visits old graveyards hand carved
v-incised letters can still be seen.
top of page
bottom of page